Master of Library and Information Science
Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2006
Major Coursework: Professional and Social Aspects of Information Services, Collection Management, Library Automation and Information Ethics
Master of Arts, History
The University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, 2004
Major Coursework: American History, Women’s History, Recent U.S. History: 1960 to the Present and Research Methods in History
Bachelor of Arts, History
Misericordia University, Dallas, PA, 2001
Major Coursework: American History, History of England, Cultural Minorities and Research Methods in History
Associate of Science, Education
Luzerne County Community College, Nanticoke, PA, 1999
Major Coursework: Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Business Law and Early Childhood Education
Adjunct History Instructor
Misericordia University, Dallas, PA
August 2008 – Present
- Facilitate adult learning, non-traditional teaching and course training.
- Provide classroom training.
- Evaluate and critique papers and class presentations.
- Create course syllabi for American History to 1865 and American History from 1865 to the present with a focus on cultural, economic and political diversity.
- Use social networking to enhance in-class discussions.
Misericordia University, Dallas, PA
March 2008 – July 2009
- Maintained the archival collections of Misericordia University, the Back Mountain Historical Association and The Center for Nursing History.
- Responsible for updating collections in the Online Public Access Catalog.
- Increased the visibility of and access to materials in the University Archives through the use of various social media.
- Provided in-person and remote reference assistance to students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Served as liaison to the History Department.
- Managed student workers.
Automated Services Coordinator
Luzerne County Library System, Wilkes-Barre, PA
June 2006 – March 2008
- Managed the computer systems for ten main libraries and five branch libraries.
- Responsible for performing upgrades of Circulation, Cataloging, Acquisitions and Management modules for the Innovative Interfaces Integrated Library System.
- Maintained electronic resources such as POWER Library, Live Homework Help and Learning Express.
- Acted as liaison between library staff and computer hardware/software vendors.
- Participated in technology outreach projects and trained peers in the use of new technology.
Archivist’s Assistant/Public Services Reference Librarian
The University of Scranton, Scranton, PA
May 2004 – June 2006
- Responsible for archiving documents generated by faculty and staff for the Archives and Special Collections Office.
- Processed, created MARC records for and set up an exhibit of The International Correspondence Schools of Scranton, PA.
- Provided online reference services via the American Jesuit Colleges and Universities Virtual Reference Service.
- Assisted students in conducting research and locating relevant resources.
Supervisor, Post Mailroom
United States Army, Fort Polk, LA
October 1993 – July 1996
- Trained and supervised twenty soldiers in the day-to-day operations of the Unit Mailroom which served over three hundred soldiers.
- Conducted monthly training sessions for supervisors.
- Established standard training operating procedures for the Unit Mailroom and ensured that the Mailroom passed all required postal inspections.
- Set up mail delivery service for soldiers who were in the field.
Ammunition Specialist, HHC/USAG
United States Army, Fort Polk, LA
June 1993 – October 1993
- Performed routine office duties.
- Assisted in the receipt, storage, issue and maintenance of explosive material.
- Performed ammunition supply stock control and accounting duties using both automated and manual procedures.
- Assisted in the preparation of transportation of ammunition, ammunition components and explosives.
Office Manager, Dining Facility
United States Army, Camp Eagle, Korea
November 1992 – June 1993
- Assisted in the management and training of military and civilian personnel.
- Kept records of incoming and outgoing expenses for the Post Dining Facility which served over a hundred people.
- Maintained routine correspondence for the Post Dining Facility.
- Planned meals for soldiers in garrison and in the field.
Other Library and Academic Experience
- Graduate Assistant, Archives and Special Collection’s Office, The University of Scranton, August 2001 – May 2004
- Computer literate with Windows and handheld operating systems. Proficient use of internet and office applications.
- Skilled in research and teaching use of online reference resources, indexes and other research tools such as citation managers, etc.
- Possess a broad understanding of Integrated Library Software systems, including cataloging, circulation, OPAC and serials function. Systems used include products from Sirsi and Innovative Interfaces Inc.
- Ability to create and maintain course content using Blackboard Course Management System.
- Continually updating skill set with emerging technology applications including social networking sites and online communication technologies.
- Society of American Archivists, Member, 2008 – 2009
- Back Mountain Historical Association, Board Member, 2008 – 2009
- American Library Association, Member, 2004 – 2009
- Northeast Chapter, Pennsylvania Library Association, Archivist, 2004 – 2006
Presentations and Publications
- Write and maintain professional blog Curious Child’s Library Wanderings at https://curiouschild.wordpress.com
- Write and maintain personal blog Living Outside the Stacks at http://livingoutsidethestacks.com/
- “Archives 2.0: Connecting the Past to the Future”, May 2009, NEPA Library Camp. http://www.slideshare.net/curiouschild/nepa-library-camp-09-archives
- “What’s in the Archives”, Book Marks, Misericordia University, Spring 2009.
- “Social Networking: Micro-Blogging”, Book Marks, Misericordia University, Spring 2009.
- “Seymour and Kathy Brotman”, March 2006, The University of Scranton. http://academic.scranton.edu/department/wml/brotmanfinding.html
- “International Correspondence Schools of Scranton”, May 2005, The University of Scranton. http://academic.scranton.edu/department/wml/icsfinding.htm
Areas of Research Interest
- The Social Web
- Information Literacy
- American History
- Social/Cultural History
- Library Management Team, Misericordia University, Dallas, PA, 2008 – 2009
- Library Marketing Committee, Misericordia University, Dallas, PA, 2008 – 2009
- Records Retention Committee, Misericordia University, Dallas, PA, 2008 – 2009
- Office of Equity and Diversity, Volunteer, The University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, 2005 – 2006
- Search Committee for Vice President of Academic Affairs, Misericordia University, Dallas, PA, 2001
- Project Linus, 2010
- Red Pump Project Blogger, 2010
- Dallas Rotary, Member, 2008 – 2009
Honors and Awards
- Sigma Chapter, Beta Phi Mu, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2006
- Eugene Garfield Minority Scholarship, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2006
- Diversity Award, The University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, 2005
- Dean’s List, Luzerne County Community College, Nanticoke, PA, Spring 1999
- Second Place, Soldier of the Month, U.S. Army, Camp Eagle, Korea, 1992